We are accountable for your personal information
We are responsible for all personal information in our possession
All employees, agents and authorized service providers of United Way Chatham-Kent are required to protect the confidentiality of your personal information. We take every precaution to ensure confidentiality of your information. The data you or your employer provide to us is only for United Way purposes.
We keep your personal information and the business you do with us in strict confidence
Where we choose to have certain services, such as data processing, provided by third party providers, we select the service providers carefully. We take all reasonable precautions to ensure that the service provider protects your personal information. These service providers enter into confidentiality agreements and do not keep any personal information on their files.
We collect, use and disclose personal information only for certain purposes that we identify to you We collect, use or disclose information only for use in United Way’s (and where relevant, your workplace) campaign to:
- Administer your donation and to contact you about renewal
- Respond to your information requests
- Know who our donors are
- Periodically, as we are able, to send you literature on United Way or invite you to recognition and information sessions
- Thank you and, with your consent, recognize your gift
- Share the information with another charity only with your consent
- We obtain personal information about you lawfully and fairly
- Personal information collected will be limited to that required for the purposes identified by us
- United Way Chatham-Kent has various Special Events to build public awareness and raise additional dollars for our social service agencies. Some of these events require the gathering of personal information, and we will inform you of the purpose for which the information is being requested. We use this information only for purposes related to this event, and destroy it as soon as it is no longer required.
We will obtain your consent
We collect, use or disclose your personal information with your permission. Your permission may be expressed orally, in writing or may be implied, and you may give it to us orally, electronically or in writing. You may withdraw your permission to collect, use and disclose your personal information at any time, subject to legal and contractual restrictions and reasonable notice. We will obtain your consent before making information available to third parties.
- Designations — when a portion of your gift is directed to another charity, we provide the amount of your donation, your name and the name of your employer to the recipient. If you do not wish this to occur, we ask you to indicate this in the appropriate section of your pledge form
- Leadership Donors — leadership donors may be publicly recognized by United Way Chatham-Kent. If you prefer to remain anonymous, please indicate this on the box on the form when making your pledge
We keep your personal information accurate and up to date
We maintain appropriate procedures to ensure that personal information in our possession is accurate and up to date. You are entitled to seek a correction of your personal information if you believe that the information in our possession is not correct. If you believe any of the information we have collected about you is incorrect or incomplete, you have the right to ask us to change it or delete it. If your personal information is inaccurate or incomplete, we will make the necessary changes.
We do not sell your personal information
We do not sell your personal information. We share your personal information with other organizations only in the following circumstances:
We will limit how long we keep information
We will keep your personal information only as long as it is necessary to satisfy the purposes for which it was obtained, or as required by law. When we destroy personal information, we will use safeguards to prevent unauthorized parties from gaining access to that information during the process.
We safeguard your personal information
United Way Chatham-Kent will protect your personal information by safeguards that are appropriate to the sensitivity of that information.
Access to your personal information is restricted to United Way Chatham-Kent employees, agents and authorized service providers who need it to do their jobs.
We maintain appropriate technical and organizational safeguards to protect your personal information against loss, theft, unauthorized access, disclosure, copying, use, or modification.
We have developed security procedures to safeguard and protect personal information against loss, theft, unauthorized disclosure, copying, and unauthorized use or modification. We will maintain appropriate safeguards and security procedures that reflect the types of documents, including electronic or paper records, organizational measures including security clearances and limiting access on a “need-to-know” basis, and technological measures such as the use of passwords and encryption.
We collect only the domain name (e.g., Sympatico, Hotmail, etc.) not the email address of visitors to our website. Donors on the site are linked to an industry standard secure payment service for credit card transactions. Our site uses “cookies” — small files containing information that track a visit to a website. These temporary files follow the flow through the site in order to improve service to visitors, and cannot be used to obtain any personally identifiable details.
Your browser can be set to notify you before receipt of a cookie, so that you can decide whether or not to accept it. (You can also set your browser to turn off cookies, but if you do so, some areas of our site may not function properly.)
We will be open about our privacy practices
United Way Chatham-Kent will make readily available to you specific information about our policies and practices relating to the management of personal information.
We allow you to access your personal information
You may ask whether we hold any personal information about you, ensure that it’s accurate, and to see that information, as provided by law.
You also have the right to know:
- How we collected your personal information
- How we are using it
You may register a complaint
You may register a privacy-related complaint by contacting United Way Chatham-Kent’s Privacy Officer.
We will explain our procedure and inform you about other complaint procedures available. We will investigate all complaints. If an objection is justified, we will take all appropriate steps to repair the situation, including changing our policies and practices if necessary. Personal information relating to volunteers, job applicants and employees are subject to similar protocols.